Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Novel Painted Black- It's A Mystery

My novel, sigh, has turned into a mystery. That's good and not so good. I've always intended it to be a mystery, just not the mystery its presenting at the moment. I can't seem to put on those final finishing touches. They keep falling off into the delete pile.

Someday it will be good enough to submit to agents, at least I hope so. I've written the whole thing, that was easy. It's the little bitty part called revisions that seems to have turned into a task as gargantuan as King Kong. Especially those pesky first few pages. No matter what brilliant idea I have for a first sentence, when I re-read it the next day, it, well it sucks.

Maybe I'm starting in the wrong place? You see that a lot in agents complaints, this writer started the book before it got interesting. Lop off the first five chapters. I've tried that and my special readers lamented the loss of some juicy tidbit or another. Then I tried a prologue to heighten the tension. Writer's Digest forum readers said I gave too much away.

Hmm, I guess I'll go back to the beginning, where I first found my protagonist Kate Callahan. She's lying on the veranda of a Southern Mansion and tells the man who offers her a hand up she wants to hang him. Do you think that's a good enough hook?

3 comments:

Kelley said...

roflmao...I love that!!!

um, yeah. I'd go with that hook.

Linda said...

Deb baby... It IS good enough for the agents. Already. And we'll figure out where to start the dang story.... I actually think you already have ;^) (And remember, the writing shines).

Nice to see you up and blogging... Peace, Linda

Steve Nicholson said...

Hey Debs,
Didn't know you had started your blog too. Good for you!
I'm sticking to my Guns. I've always thought "I want to hang you" is an excellent opening line.
Steve