Monday, December 10, 2012

Night of Nights


            Night Of Nights

            On this night of nights
            Snow squeaks under my boots
            Sounds like little Christmas mice
            Fighting over cookies and milk
           
            I remove one glove, then the other
            Loosen the girth, slide the saddle off
            Give my chestnut mare a quick brush
            Several pats on her warm thick coated neck
           
            A blue glow from a bright star
            Forges a path across the winter landscape
            Reveals neat hoof prints that mark the way
            From whence we have come
           
            Yes, we
            Though I traveled undetected
            Upon the broad back of my companion
            Could I prove I was there
            Perhaps not
            Take it on faith I will say if challenged
           
            The place journeyed to
            Found several years ago
            When I dropped the reins
            Gave my mare her head
            Feels close to Heaven
           
            Tonight, this night, I left prayers
            She trimmed around the tombstone
            Upon which the light always shines brightest
           
            Infant boy-A child of God- the inscription reads
            Each year it is the same and each year
            I marvel at the sight
            My mare moves so unerringly to
           
            Animals in the stable talk at midnight
            Or so it is said
            In honor of a birth long ago
            Does my mare speak of the wonders we have seen
            I do not know
            Will have to take it on faith
           
            Our yearly trek complete
            I lead my mare into the barn
            Settle her in with sweet feed and carrots
           
            Gloves back on, I give her one last pat
            Pull the heavy wooden door closed
            Shut in the incense of horses, hay and miracles
            Snow squeaks under my boots
            On this night of nights
           


No comments: